- Because Christmas should be a happy time
- Because you want your gifts to get to the rightful recipient
- Because a break in is traumatic, especially at Christmas
Although the festive season is traditionally a time for giving, the gifts under your tree can be a tempting sight for burglars.
It is estimated that in the UK household theft claims can typically increase by an average of 34 per cent during the winter months and more than 25 per cent of UK homeowners report having little to no security precautions in place on their property. However, there are measures that you can take to deter burglars and protect your home from theft during the festive season:
- Keep gifts out of sight – It might sound obvious but gifts that are visible from your windows will be tempting to a potential burglar.
- Be mindful of how you dispose of packaging as this might advertise that you have valuable new items in your home. Break up packaging and put it underneath other rubbish or recycling when you put your bins out.
- Secure your windows and doors – Ensure they are all locked before going out and don’t leave spare keys in obvious places.
- Going away – Whether it’s just for a few days or the whole festive season avoid your home looking empty. Consider leaving a spare key with a trusted person and ask them to pop around to turn lights on at different times, park their car on the driveway and pick up any post. Security cameras and lights can also be a deterrent.
Make sure you have adequate insurance protection – check your policy wording, some insurers will provide increased protection for Christmas gifts. If you need advice speak to your insurance provider.
For friendly, professional advice for your home insurance
Contact us by calling 01273 328181 or