- Because darker evenings make driving more risky
- Because no one wants to have an accident
- Because these tips might help to avoid an accident
Research from Zurich Insurance found that prior to the clocks moving back an hour, a quarter of accidents happen between 4 - 7pm but this increases to almost a third of all crashes in November after the clock change. This equates to a 10 -15% increase within that time compared to the rest of the day.
Here are Zurich's top tips for driving safely in wintertime: -
- Prepare for driving at night. Ensure you check bulbs and make sure lights are working so you can see and be seen by other motorists.
- Minimise the glare. Keep windscreens thoroughly clean both inside and out and make sure you get any cracks and chips repaired before the cold weather sets in.
- Watch out for leaves and debris on the road. High winds and falling leaves can cover potholes and uneven surfaces and make the road more slippery.
- Fog can also make the road wet and slippery as well as impacting on visibility. Always adjust your speed to the driving conditions.
- Give your car a thorough check, including the tyres, brakes, wipers and liquids.
- Make sure you allow plenty of time to reach you destination safely.
For a car insurance quote
Call us on 01273 328181 or contact us by