Taking your car to the EU - latest update effective from 2nd August 2021

In the event of a "no deal Brexit" at the end of the transition period which ends on 31 December 2020 it will be necessary to obtain a Green Card to take your vehicle to the European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA), Andorra, Serbia or Switzerland after the UK leaves the EU.

This will be a LEGAL requirement and You MUST carry a physical Green Card as an electronic document WILL NOT be accepted in Europe.

The Green Card can now, legally, be printed on white paper rather than the traditional green paper.

Multiple Green Cards may be required if: -

• A motorist is towing a caravan or trailer - Green Cards will be needed for the motor vehicle and trailer or caravan.

• There are two policies covering the duration of the trip, for example if the policy renews during the journey.

• A haulier has fleet insurance - a Green Card is required for each vehicle.

• A haulier's vehicle is towing a trailer - a Green Card is required for the towing vehicle and also one for the trailer.

For information regarding Gibraltar click here to visit the Gibraltar Government.

If You are intending to travel in Europe it is important to allow as much time as possible for the Green Card to be prepared and sent to You.

To find out more about how we can help with Your vehicle insurance

Call us on 01273 328181 or

Click here to contact us